Friday, June 27, 2008

Act/ Refract/ Degree show










As the final part of my Graphic Communication BA we were are asked to produce a piece of work for our end of year show. This year it was loosely themed around the word 'act', we could chose any word provided act was within it i.e. impact, action, distract etc. I chose the word 'refract'. Refraction is the bending of energy waves when they pass through objects of different mass, an example is a straw in a glass of water looks distorted below the water line- this is refraction. I chose refraction as I believe it can be used as a metaphor for graphic communication. Each designer and illustrator is a medium for ideas, concepts, images and text, and each person will have an individual way of composing, arranging and producing a piece of work. refraction is a filtering process, it changes the appearance of things and gives us a new perspective, so is graphic communication.
I produced a large (110cm/ 70cm) wooden 3D poster, onto this I painted a collection of water droplet shapes in primary and secondary colours. the nature of the wooden surface means that each droplet is broken and misshapen when viewed face on. However if you find the right position you can view each one as a perfect shape. This reinforces the concept of perspective and interpretation. For the degree show I also produce an A1 7 colour silk screen poster of my Refract design.

No comments: