Saturday, June 14, 2008

Recognition Day







Recognition Day is an annual event hosted by Cog Design Studio. Their objective is to break down social, personal and mental barriers between each other and within ourselves. They have nominated May the 4th to be a day of appreciation, understanding and communication. I entered their competition to explore the theme of recognition.
I decided to promote the awareness and consideration of others. I did this by producing an A1 origami poster, which can be folded into the (vague) shape of a head, along with the poster were some features to decorate the face to resemble someone you know. The concept was based upon a Japanese tradition of wish making, the Dharma doll. But instead of self directed wishing I asked the poster recipient to make a wish on someone else's behalf and to think about the needs of others. My work was shortlisted to the last 15 and used as promotional postcards that were sent out or requested in time for recognition day.
If you would like to be involved then visit Cog Design here.

4 comments:

Tom said...

Is the second one down you Chris? your lips arn't quite that feminine. I like the stack of heads, you could make a nice totem pole out of them!

Jannie Funster said...

Are you sure you're not "The Unknown Comic"??

Mr_Sticklebrick said...

I could never admit to being 'comic' or even funny. But perhaps I would be better wearing a bag on my head. Canadian? no.

Mr_Sticklebrick said...

nice website Jannie.